• question-icon

Suggest treatment for breast cancer

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Cancer
Question: I am a breast cancer survivor and now it has metastasized to my liver. I have had considerable weight gain in my abdomen. I am handling the treatment quite well but Will exercise or weight loss help me in this situation to prolong my life? Is it a good idea to try to lose weight? Any suggestions? What is usually the outcome with this disease. Tell me honestly. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Survival depends upon the tumor properties

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through the details.

So the survival in metastatic disease will depend upon the tumor characteristics like er, pr and her2 receptor status. You can tell me your tumor receptor status. Weight loss will certainly add to your life and so as yoga and other lifestyle changes.
The usual outcome is prolongation of survival and adding quality of life. Ultimately all treatment fails as cure is not possible.

Thanks and regards
Feel free to ask further
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 9 hours later
Tumor characteristics is her2, estrogen receptor positive.
I knew there was not a cure for stage 4 metastatic of any kind but I do want to improve my quality of life.

Seems since my diagnosis, I can't think of anything to do to keep busy. It's as if I'm waiting for death to tap me on the shoulder. I need something to do to take my mind off of this. No, my husband isn't any help. I think he's thinking about what he's going to do with the life insurance.

Thank you for your honesty and any other info you can offer.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Your prognosis is good

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. So with her2 and er positive report, your prognosis is good as we have drugs for both targets. Trastuzumab drug will target her2 and hormonal drug will target er. Initially a combination of Trastuzumab and chemo will be appropriate followed by Trastuzumab and hormonal. You can enjoy a great deal of quality of life.
Nothing to worry.
Thanks and regards
Feel free to ask further
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist