Suggest treatment for breast cancer post a bilateral mastectomy

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Cancer
Question: Hello,
I'm a stage 1A breast cancer patient, four month a go I had bilateral mastectomy. Since I am a stage1 my oncotyping results came back as 33 so my oncologist recommended that I should have four cycles of chemo therapy. I'm done with three March 9th will be my fourth one.
I want to know what questions I should ask my oncologist going forward?
Please advise me more to go on a best treatment plan with my doctors.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

1a stage after surgery has very good prognosis and even without chemotherapy, recurrence rate is low.

Chemotherapy will maximize metastasis prevention. Hence, after these 4 cycles there is no need for further adjuvant therapy. All you need is frequent follow up in the first 2 years.

It means that you should check your tumor markers and do breast ultrasound every 3-4 months.

Feel free to ask further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee