Suggest treatment for breast abscess and fibrocystic disease

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 in Lump
Question: My wife had a breast abscess, which was I&D's, a couple of months ago. Now, she has a solid lesion in the same breast. We did USG and FNAC. She is diagnosed with fibrocystic disease with multiple cysts (millimeters sizes) in both breast. The said lesion is the only big one which would be of centimeter dimension. Doctor has given vit E and another tablet, viz, Primosa and asked to follow up in a month's time. Is there any cause of worry?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a worry, please send ultrasound, FNAC report

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Having served in a well known cancer institute for few years and seen hundreds of breast lump patients, including fibrocystic disease and cancers. I would be glad if you can attach the breast ultrasound and FNAC reports for a better confirmation.

Many patients come for ultrasound with complaints as mentioned in your query, in most cases if a fibrocystic disease is diagnosed through ultrasound guided FNAC then there is no reason to worry. The condition is very common and more than half of women experience fibrocystic breast changes at some point in their lives.

The medications prescribed for your wife are
Vitamin E tablet
Primosa (evening primrose oil given for pain in breast)

As per literature, the reason for giving evening primrose oil is that it may replace linoleic acid in women who are deficient in this essential fatty acid. Restoring linoleic acid levels may make their breast tissues less sensitive to hormonal influences.

Following up after a month is a routine procedure to know if the evening primrose oil is helping and just to re confirm that it is fibrocystic disease clinically as in this condition the size of lumps fluctuates with time.

Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 11 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks a lot for your prompt response. I currently do not have the reports at hand, but can get copies scanned and uploaded in a couple of days. Hope this is fine.

Thanks and best regards,
XXXX

PS: Would I need to keep this discussion chain active till I upload the reports?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pls upload reports and write a line informing me

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

Please do not close this chain by yourself if you want to keep this discussion active.

Please follow these steps
1. Upload the reports after a couple of days.
2. Send in a line informing me that you have uploaded the reports.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek