Suggest treatment for branchial cleft cyst

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: I have a branchial cleft cyst on the left side of my neck. My personal physician verified this. But now the area also has a red splotchy rash. Should I be concerned?
Kelly Wood
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Branchial cleft cyst

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

The branchial cleft remnants may contain small pieces of cartilage and cysts.
The treatment is surgical, and complete removal of the cyst and tract is necessary for cure.

Appearance of red spotchy rash/redness may be due to initial stage of infection which is common in branchial cleft cysts. A course of antibiotics to cover Staphylococcus and Streptococcus species may be required. Excision of the cyst is usually undertaken after the infection resolves.

Please upload a close-up photo of the cyst on your left side of neck, if possible.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee