Suggest treatment for brain tumor

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi.. my father is diagnosed having brain tumor. He is 63 yrs old and he experienced headache.Can you tell at least the prognosis and possible treatment. MRI hre
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
OVERALL NOT A GOOD PROGNOSIS

Detailed Answer:
Hi Madam,

I have carefully gone through your query and understand your concern.

As per the MRI Reports,the brain tumor in his case has shown possible extension to important vital centers of brain,which can seriously affect the prognosis. .EX PONTINE GLIOMAS(as in your case with pontine extension).

The gliomas are known for their spread within the brain,so even when they start as low grade(1 and 2),they can eventually convert into high grade(3 and 4).
So by this convention all gliomas can be generally considered incurable.

The prognosis for high grade gliomas is generally poor especially in older patients,with 50% of patients can go on to live for one year and 25% of patients go on to live for 2 years.

For low grade tumors,the tumors are somewhat optimistic,with 50% of patients can go to live up to 10yrs in selected cases.

The treatments include combined approaches like surgery,chemotherapy and radiotherapy and stereotactic radiotherapy.

The worst outcomes or possible complications in gliomas include headache,seizures,raised intracranial pressure(especially in your case with subfalcine herniation),blindness etc.

Some cases with pontine involvement-brain stem involvement as in your case can lead to respiration and circulation disturbances which can lead to sudden onset of critical illness.

I Hope this info is quite helpful to you.
Post your doubts in case of further follow up queries.
Thank you,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj