Suggest treatment for brain stroke

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi, My Mother suffered a massive brain stroke (left part of the brain) on 4th July '13 and she is being treated at XXXXXXX Asia Hospital, yeshwantpur, XXXXXXX Due to this, her right part of the body is fully paralysed. A decompressive craniectomy was performed due to rising ICP. It followed up by right temporal lobectomy and ICH evacuation. Her BP is stable with medication now and the brain swelling is coming down. She underwent a tracheostomy as well. She is undergoing swallowing therapy and under PEG feed. She expresses her emotions by crying and making her left hand and left leg movements. The Neurosurgeon has recommended a specialized centre for rehab. I wish to know if she will recover and return back to normal, and which rehab in XXXXXXX is best in treating tracheostomy and craniectomy decompression patients. Any good neurologist reference would be helpful?
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment seems to be along correct lines.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your mother's symptoms, diagnosis and treatment received so far.

At XXXXXXX Asia, I know Dr XXXXXXX who is a very good neurologist and a good friend of mine.

Regarding the date of brain stroke, you have mentioned 2013, I presume it is this month and year, and not one year back.

I agree with the doctor's advice that physiotherapy and rehabilitation are the best options for her treatment now.

Decompressive hemicraniectomy is a life-saving procedure and it was done at right time.

Good places for rehab in XXXXXXX are NIMHANS, St John's hospital, Manipal Hospital, etc.

Other than Dr XXXXXXX you can consult other neurologists in XXXXXXX such as Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX (Manipal Hospital) or Dr XXXXXXX B Iyer (Vikram Hospital).

If you can manage to go to CMC Vellore, they have probably the best rehab center in the country.

With good physiotherapy and rehabilitation, we can expect a good amount of recovery in her, however, she may not completely recover.

I hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 30 minutes later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX Thanks for your wonderful feedback. Yes you are correct, it is 2014. It is Dr. XXXXXXX who is treating her. He has suggested XXXXXXX health care services, XXXXXXX for rehab. When i checked the reviews, it was totally bad. So I am little concerned about this.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can discuss with him again.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

You can discuss with Dr XXXXXXX again regarding XXXXXXX and other options for rehab at Bengaluru. Also, please check the other places I have suggested.

Once your mother is stable, I would request you to take her to CMC Vellore once, as I feel she would benefit a lot (I spent 15 years in that hospital- 1989 to 2004).

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)