Suggest treatment for brain fog

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I appear to have brain fog. Is that from RX drugs fighting after taking too long?
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Brain Fog

Detailed Answer:
Good evening.

I am not sure what you refer to as brain fog but if you are referring to lack of clarity in your thinking, loss of ability to concentrate, attend, or focus then, there are many, many reasons for such a condition.

Certainly, medications constitute a large percentage of causing cognitive fogginess in patients but there are also organic reasons that should be also investigated and ruled out such as serum levels of Vitamin D, Vit. B12, thyroid hormones (TSH, FT4, TT3, FT3), cortisol levels, liver and renal function tests to ensure good functioning of the kidneys and hepatic systems to keep circulating blood clean and free from toxins.

In your case, clearly certain medications in your list can and do cause patients of mine to have less than optimal cognitive functioning, however, if you've been on these medications for longer than 6-12 months and you feel that things are declining well after your initiating them then, I think it is less likely to be due to the medications or interactions between the same.

I would also recommend that you make an appointment with a neurologist who will do screening tests on your cognitive abilities in order to detect early problems in your brain that may be related to neurodegenerative problems common in patients over the age of 65 and if appropriate you may be asked to undergo further testing such as either a CT scan or MRI of the brain.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.