Suggest treatment for brain fever in a child

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi,

I just want to check whether we can cure brain fever or not. My daughter is suffering from Brain fever and she is in advanced stage. at present she is on ventilators. Please let me know whether we can make hopes and where can it be curable.

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Outcome depends on clinical condition

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I am really very sorry to know the condition of the child.But I want to let you know that brain fever (medically known as encephalitis/meningitis/febrile encephalopathy)is a treatable condition and overall outcome depends on neurological status and comorbid conditions like whether other systems have been involved or not.
By other system I mean heart pumping action,blood pressure,urine output,condition of lungs and associated sepsis (bacterial infection).
So its really difficult to tell about the prognosis of the brain fever by just knowing that the child is on ventilator.
In summary I want to say that the brain fever is a treatable condition and ventilation is one of the modality of treatment.Regarding the prognosis I suggest you to discuss it with your doctor.

All the best.
Wishing for your child's rapid recovery.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 21 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply.

We had a chat with the doctor and they said it's a dengue and the virus has been passed to brain now. They said the condition is critical and it is stage3.

Can we take any measures now that will help the child for a better condition. Also, can we please contact you directly for the immediate and fast action to be taken care to save my daughter.

Please let us know if there is a way to contact you sir. Thank you so much.

Best,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You may contact me through Healthcaremagic

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern and as per the description condition appears to be critical.
In dengue there is high chance of multi organ involvement like acute lung injury,acute kidney injury,involvement of heart called myocarditis leading to low blood pressure,bleeding due to low platelet and infection and most important the shock.
I am sorry but I can not provide you my direct contact.You may contact me through Healthcaremagic.
I suggest you to don't get overly anxious,discuss with your doctor time to time about the condition,just hold your nerve,pray from got for the best and let the doctors manage the child.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 17 minutes later
Thanks doctor. We are curently contacting the doctor on the status of the child time to time. They said they are doing their best. Can we get any other suggestion so we can also inform doctor that we had a chat with you and this is one of the best solution we can try.

Thanks for being helpful in advance.

Best,
XXXX

Thanks a lot XXXXXXX

She is still pausing urine. As per doctors she is stable now as per doctors when a person is in ventilators health we will be going worst and there will be drop in pulse. But, in her case it is stable. And they are saying lets wait for 48hrs she might be conscious. So, here my final question is can we trust them. Can I see my daughter conscious in next 48 hrs. Or can we shift her to US or some where. And where can we get hopeful results. Please answer this.

Thanks
Brief Answer:
Treating patient in ICU is all based on clinical examination

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Treating patient in ICU, very much depends on clinical examination of the patient(monitoring the vitals like heart rate, blood pressure,oxygen saturation and shock status time to time).
Also the ventilatory parameters,medication to maintain BP and fluid volume need to be adjusted according to vitals.
The only thing one can get from second opinion is the overall condition of the child.
It's really difficult to manage an ICU patient who is on ventilator through second opinion.
What I may suggest that you can contact a local pediatric intensivist who may help you after clinical examination.
regards