Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for bowel leakage, diarrhea and constipation

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I currently been having bowel leakage, diarrhea and constipation (more diarrhea than constipation), some painful rectum spasms. Also, just had a 2 cm (boil or abcess) next to the anus. We drained it and it had blood and pus. I have been on a gluten free diet for 10 years but been cheating some. I have been diagnosed with gastroparesis and non-specific arthralgia. (Feet are painful) also, have osteoporosis since 2002 and i am 51 years old
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy is necessary.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Diarrhea and constipation alternately can be a colon cancer symptoms. Bowel leakage is caused by excessive mucus secretion which can be also a colon cancer symptom. Please note that the risk of this cancer significantly rises over the age of 50. That is why every person over 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years and colonoscopy in case of any symptoms (like those you have).
Abscess next to the anus can be a symptom of fistula. Fistula and your symptoms can also indicate Ulcerative Colitis. This issue is also diagnosed with colonoscopy.
That is why I suggest you to consult gastrologist and have colonoscopy done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor