Suggest treatment for bowel leakage, diarrhea and constipation

General Surgeon
Question
I currently been having bowel leakage, diarrhea and constipation (more diarrhea than constipation), some painful rectum spasms. Also, just had a 2 cm (boil or abcess) next to the anus. We drained it and it had blood and pus. I have been on a gluten free diet for 10 years but been cheating some. I have been diagnosed with gastroparesis and non-specific arthralgia. (Feet are painful) also, have osteoporosis since 2002 and i am 51 years old
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy is necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Diarrhea and constipation alternately can be a colon cancer symptoms. Bowel leakage is caused by excessive mucus secretion which can be also a colon cancer symptom. Please note that the risk of this cancer significantly rises over the age of 50. That is why every person over 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years and colonoscopy in case of any symptoms (like those you have).
Abscess next to the anus can be a symptom of fistula. Fistula and your symptoms can also indicate Ulcerative Colitis. This issue is also diagnosed with colonoscopy.
That is why I suggest you to consult gastrologist and have colonoscopy done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.