Suggest treatment for bowel infection along with chest infection

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 25 Feb 2015 in Child Health
Question: my 7 year old daughter had an x ray after becoming ill after running no fever. She was running playing kickball and felt dizzy earlier, and was sick after having soup for supper. We were concerned because she has been on miralax since she was 2 hospitalized when bowels filled up. She is on 1/2 cap dose currently. has been to specialists and diagnosed as holding when she was 2. Because of her history x ray was taken. X ray results are posted on mycarle,com but we can't get a call back about the results. the information typed says "lung bases demostrate a suspected wedge like retrocardiac opacity may be on the basis of atelactasis or developing pneumonia. multiple air fluid levels most of which appear to be centered over the right lower quadrant.This may be on the basis of enterocolitus or regional ileus.There are no calcified appendicoliths identified.
Answered by Dr. Arun 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
infection of bowels needs antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The reports you mentioned reveal two problems
A. Bowel infection which is possible considering her symptoms. This could be a result of food poisoning or bug in food.
B. Developing chest infection.
For bowel infection I suggest you need to start her on antibiotics soon.
Waiting for a week to see a specialist would not be ideal.
It is better to take her to your pediatrician or ER to confirm the diagnosis and start treating her.
Chest examination will rule out associated chest infection if any.
Stop miralax for time being and consult soon.
Let me know if you need further assistance
Wishing your child good health.

Dr Arun