Suggest treatment for bowed legs in child

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: my son is 22 months his weight is 15 kgs he started walking at age of 10 month and by 1 yr he was able to run, he walks & runs properly kik foot ball, only problem is he has bowed legs which looks odd, have conculted many doctors taken xrays, but they say it will go on its own. However i still see no difference, i massage his legs every day give him calcium supplement but still not changes.. pls. suggest
Answered by Dr. Arun 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
check vitamin d levels

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to HealthcareMagic.

It is better to check his vitamin d levels in blood.
Vitamin d deficiency if present needs to be treated aggressively with vitamin d sachets for 10 days.

One more thing I noticed from your history is the weight. For 22 month old kid the normal weight is around 12 to 13 kg. Excess weight can by itself cause bowing of legs during weight bearing.

Ensure you avoid tinned and canned foods, give him plenty of fruits and vegetables.
If vit d levels are normal, don't worry, the bend in the legs will improve as he grows.

Wishing him speedy recovery
Dr Arun

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj