Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for bowed legs in child

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1803 Questions
my son is 22 months his weight is 15 kgs he started walking at age of 10 month and by 1 yr he was able to run, he walks & runs properly kik foot ball, only problem is he has bowed legs which looks odd, have conculted many doctors taken xrays, but they say it will go on its own. However i still see no difference, i massage his legs every day give him calcium supplement but still not changes.. pls. suggest
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
check vitamin d levels

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to HealthcareMagic.

It is better to check his vitamin d levels in blood.
Vitamin d deficiency if present needs to be treated aggressively with vitamin d sachets for 10 days.

One more thing I noticed from your history is the weight. For 22 month old kid the normal weight is around 12 to 13 kg. Excess weight can by itself cause bowing of legs during weight bearing.

Ensure you avoid tinned and canned foods, give him plenty of fruits and vegetables.
If vit d levels are normal, don't worry, the bend in the legs will improve as he grows.

Wishing him speedy recovery
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor