• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for borderline personality disorder

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Mental Health
Question: How does a person live with someone, who has "borderline personality disorder"? Even after decades of marriage that person attacks her spouse (verbally) just "out of the blue". Whatever I do, it doesn't help: silent treatment, being quiet and nicely behaving, not commenting on the outbursts, trying to please her as much as possible or the opposite and fighting fire with fire by answering harshly on the not-deserved attacks (knowing well that I am neither God or an XXXXXXX but just a human being).
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question to HCM.

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is one of the most disruptive psychiatric disorders in terms of affecting interpersonal relationships. There is no easy answer to this question. Some things that work well are family or marriage counseling and psychotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy for managing your frustrations, and making sure the person with BPD is in regular psychotherapy themselves.

It is a good strategy to set boundaries and not allow those boundaries to be broken or violated, and standing firm in this regard. All these things can help this very difficult situation.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Answered by
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe


Practicing since :2014

Answered : 2242 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Bpd

doctor1 MD

Are there any doctors that can XXXXXXX autism in adults over age 50?

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, I m a chinese pregnant mum. My ultrasound at 36 weeks indicates that my baby s femur is only 57mm(7 weeks behind), humerous is 52mm,...

doctor1 MD

Hi I am 37 weeks pregnant and my ultra sound scan says bpd 92mm ..fl 70mm..hc 326mm..ac 317mm...afi 11cm...placenta is anterior grade 2...foetal...

doctor1 MD

What can a psychiatrist give that works well to help treat my anxiety and depression (both chronic and severe). I already take venlafexine and have...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

200 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe
  • Q - What other medication can show a false positive for Oxazepam and Temazepam?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for premature ejaculation

  • Q - Which genetic test predicts how effective psychiatric medication are at...

  • Q - What causes erectile dysfunction after kegel exercises?

  • Q - Suggest ways to wean off Abilify

  • Q - What do these PFT test results indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for visual hallucinations

  • Q - Suggest treatment for borderline personality disorder

  • Q - How to rule out bipolar disorder?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for withdrawal symptoms of Hydrocodone