Suggest treatment for bony ridge above right shoulder

Question
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX
The dislocated shoulder on 30.6.2014 has not really changed much.
I still have a bony ridge above the right shoulder towards the end of the shoulder. It feels like a bone in the wrong place, very hard and heavy.
My movement has come back completely and I am not in much pain, it is rather subliminal but bearable.
Now I am concerned whether the obvious hump on my shoulder will subside or whether I should consult professional help or learn to live with it????
I have not stressed the shoulder greatly being afraid that I might do more damage and maybe the tendons would suffer.
I have not used my bicycle on steep hills as I do not want to pull too hard on the right shoulder.
I can not sleep on my right side because of discomfort with the shoulder protrusion. It hurts after a short period of time and I need to change position.
Thank you for your help and also for contacting me again.
Affectionately
XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See your doctor for evaluation first!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this question.

I will like that you contact your doctor for examination and evaluation of the treatment that was suggested. If the healing process is as planned, then you should continue with the prescribed measures. For how long has treatment been going on as this condition often requires weeks and months for all to resettle. Unless something else is detected, I think more time is needed for complete healing to be expected.

If the healing is okay, I will also suggest that you follow up with a physical therapist who would train you on how to exercise, strengthen and accelerate healing of this joint without aggravating the existing lesions.

In all, I am afraid you have not given treatment enough time for complete healing and resolution of symptoms. Get it evaluated by your doctor and consider physical therapy to aid with the healing process.

I hope this helps. I wish you well and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for bony ridge above right shoulder 22 hours later
Dear Dr. Ivo
I did write a follow question to you last night and did as yet not receive your reply.
Could you please check.
Affectionately
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I didn't receive any question from you!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for checking with me.

Please, I have not received any other follow up question from you. Could you kindly send it again?

Thanks and hope to hear from you.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for bony ridge above right shoulder 5 hours later
I am concerned that if I just wait for the healing it might become a more serious situation. I am concerned whether I should still NOT do any exercises like riding a bicycle on a hilly road and stress the tendons in the shoulder further.
The report was:
There is a persisting subluxation of the lateral aspect of the clavicle with associated widening of the AC joint and a small intervening bone density.

The dislocated shoulder occurred on 30.6.2014, now we are having 10.8.2014.
I can not see the elevated hard deformed bony ridge on my right shoulder to subside.
Should I be concerned?
How does it actually get better??
What happens to the raised bone?
Will it subside itself with times?
Would I need manipulation?
I have full movement of the shoulder. There is a small amount of pain at times, but most times there is no discomfort. But the lump on my shoulder is disconcerting.
I very much would like to obtain a second opinion from you apart from our local physicians.
Thank you for looking at my concern and explain the next step towards healing.
Affectionately
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up questions.

Healing of this joint is mainly through resting. This enables the structures to regain their initial state and get the structures back into their normal positions. The head of this bone is normally held in place by the ligaments. During trauma, they are injured and the bone then has the tendency to stick out. If the displacement is too much, the doctors may want to immobilize this joint to facilitate healing and gt the structures back together mechanically but this is only in a few number of cases.

The main approach to this now is to get it examined by a physical therapist and orthopedic surgeon. They would be able to tell what structures are not in the best shape and what movements can strengthen them and prevent any aggravation of the joint deformity.

Not all exercises need to be prohibited. After a careful examination, your doctors should be able to prescribe what movements would help with the healing and strengthening of the different structures found here. Riding the bike on a hilly slope or not should be addressed after this also.

I hope this helps. let me know if you need supplemental information on this. I wish you well.