• question-icon

Suggest treatment for boils on lower abdomen

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi, my daughter got these little dots on her lower abdomen about a year ago. I thought it was from where her clothes are rubbing. About a month ago one of them turned into what looked like a boil. We put a warm compress on it and was able to get puss out of it. Now the other spots are turning into boils. Now I am not sure what the things are. Any suggestion?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HCM to post your health query.
I saw carefully your daughter's photos.

The lesions seem like folliculitis which is inflammation of the hair root. It is caused by bacteria which are normal on the skin (staphylococcus) , but who overgrow at some point and causes that infection.
In order for the infection to be cleared, you will need to use antibiotics.
Topical mupirocin and topical clindamycin are my preferred initial treatments (If your daughter is not allergiv to them)
Apply them 3-4 times/day.

If worse or not better after 2-3 weeks, I would recommend seeing a local doctor who will recommend oral antibiotic. Continue with the compresses if you see that those are helping.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.
Otherwise please close and rate the answer.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klarida Papaqako