Suggest treatment for boils and severe acne on the body along with scalp sores

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi. I've recently been experiencing boils on various parts of my body. Currently, on my chest and inner thigh. Recently on the back of my neck. Also suffering from scalp sores. Not just one or two, but currently seems to be my entire scalp. Hair loss is very present. Lastly, severe acne on my back and chest. Uncommon for me as I am 43. However, not uncommon on my face.

I gave birth to twin boys last March.
I have been taking prescribed adderall for almost 10 years.

Please help?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
You seem to have severe grade inflammatory acne. Acne can affect the face, chest, back/torso and even scalp.
I would suggest you to take oral doxycycline 100mg, twice daily for 4-6weeks.
In addition you may apply a topical antibiotic e.g either mupirocin cream or fusidic acid cream, twice daily, on chest, neck, back and thighs
For scalp I would suggest an antiseptic shampoo e.g a shampoo with cetrimide 5%.
These are prescription medications and I suggest you to talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 7 minutes later
Could Adderall IR 20mg be causing this? If the scalp sores are in fact acne, will my hair grow back? Are there any over the counter medications effective? I currently do not have health care.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding acne and hair loss

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

No. It's not because of Adderall. Unfortunately, most oral antibiotics are not available over the counter. You may try if you can find Amoxicillin or Ampicillin, over the counter. You may take 500mg, three times in a day for a 10 - 14 days.
You may use Neosporin ointment, topically instead of those I suggested earlier. Neosporin is available OTC. It can be use on scalp too as well as on your skin.
If the scalp sores are not causing any scarring the hair would grow back.
I think you would be able to find a OTC shampoo with cetrimide in it.
Ideally you should visit a dermatologist. Hopefully you can get insurance and schedule your appointment with a dermatologist. Till then you may use the above.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng