question-icon

Suggest treatment for body pain, soreness in thighs and lower back

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015
Question: I have been feeling pain all over my body for about 2 months now. Especially in my hands, feet, soreness in thighs and lower back. Almost like I started back up at the gym again, but I haven't.
Is this arthritis? Or possibly Lymes? (I found a tick embedded in the back of my neck 3 weeks ago.)
I'm always sore pretty much all over.

Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
several possibilities

Detailed Answer:
ok, obviously anyone with a tick should get tested for lyme. One would expect lyme to hit nerves here and there with infection and not to hit a large number and all sensation and not other neurologic functions.

Overall sick nerves would give sensation effects somewhat all over but a bit more at nerves that are the longest (tips of hands and feet). The type of sensation would be "nerve-like"... tingling, irritation, more/less sensitive to usual touch, often with a temperature component.

Sick nerves can occur from a wide variety of causes. Thyroid disease, in theory b12/folate but uncommon unless someone is old or alcoholic, diabetes.

Nerve conduction tests can show if there is a problem and imply somewhat the cause of the problem.
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist