Suggest treatment for blurred vision and persistent back pain

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I occationally hve blurred vision, sort of like looking thru a kaliedscope in part of my eye. I take 600-800 miiligrams of ibubrophen a day for cronic back pain and my most recentblood press check at a store machine as 170/90. I am also having some ED problems. I am not overweight, exercise regularly, don't smoke, eatfairly healthy. Suggestions? (see a doctor, I will).
Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX and thanks for the question.

Let me address your concerns point-by-point.

1. Blurred vision. The way you describe this sounds like you may be developing a cataract. Is there any family history of this? Is this just in one eye? Any headache associated with it? Blurry vision can sometimes be caused by very high blood pressure (usually >200/110), at which point it becomes an emergency, but this does not sound like what you describe.

2. Hypertension. 170/90 is high enough to warrant addition of a medication such as amlodipine. A single measurement doesn't tell the whole story, so I would buy a machine you can take home and record your pressures a couple times a day and take this to your doctor. It sounds like you are already eating healthy, exercising, staying at a good weight, and avoiding tobacco, which are all the things you need to do to lower pressure naturally. Sometimes genetics determine that yours will be higher anyway, which is where medication helps.

I hope this is helpful to you.

I am always happy to take on private patients on this website. For a more personalized comprehensive evaluation and answer, ask me on HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj