Suggest treatment for blood tinged sputum

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello,

Im a 24yo male, symptoms are :

- Blood tinged sputum in the morning (from throat and sinuses) for 15 days. Doctor suspected pharyngitis and I took Amoxicillin for 10 days

- Blood stopped 3 days after finishing amoxicillin, not sure if it's medication or because I bought an air humidifier

- Shortly after I finished amoxicillin, I had an episode of dacryocystitis, doctor put me through Levaquin for 10days, at the same time I had pain in my throat and cervical lymphadenopathy.

- Fast forward 10 days of Levaquin pain still subsiding in throat area more painfull under chin and neck (intermitten pain) and new swollen nodes in clavicula.

- Saw another doctor he ordered some tests I attached the results.

What can you tell me about this ? I'm a smoker and although Im still young Im terrified at the thought that it could be cancer, my body is definitely fighting something, but the suspected bacteria and viruses are negative.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Await result of EBV and ANA

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
I understand your concern.
The only significant positive finding in your blood tests is a high lymphocyte count which may be associated with a viral infection.
The EBV and ANA+RF results are awaited.
When they are available we will have more information and also whether you should have a histopathological study of the enlarged lymph nodes.
So for the present avoiding smoking would be a good idea.

Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 32 hours later
Hi doctor, my results came back for EBV, I dont have the actual results but doctor told me I tested positive but that I must have been infected a while ago because it was resolving, I was looking at the screen he was showing me 3 different values one was negative, one was 180 and the other 600 which he said is very high (positive from 21) I'm sorry I don't have the specifics may be you can decypher it. So, I was wondering if with that in mind it can explain my symptoms, especially the swollen lymph nodes in me left clavicula as I read over the internet the main cause for its swelling is malignency, and is it normal to still have swollen nodes and discomfort even if the infection is past (as told by doctor) he told me to wait 3 weeks and do ct scan of the neck if it's still a problem and he put me on prednisone. But in the meantime I'm scared cancer could be a possibility either for lungs (would explain blood in mucus and supraclavicular swollen nodes) or lymphoma, is it likely or am I worrying for nothing. Thank you doctor.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
Typical of Infectious mononucleosis

Detailed Answer:
Sorry for the delay in replying.
These nodes and other symptoms are typical of Infectious Mononucleosis and confirmed by your EBV test.
Lung malignancy is unlikely at your age.
So relax and wait for your symptoms to resolve.
Do get back to me if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana