Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment for blood in urine

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I have seen blood in my urine. Should I go to an emergenyroom?
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs thorough investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have gross hematuria.

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have any urinary symptoms like urgency,frequency etc associated with hematuria.?
2) Are you taking any drugs like Aspirin ?
3) Do you have pain in lower abdomen ?
4) Since how long you have hematuria?

The gross hematuria at this age is most likely to be due to one of the following common reasons.
1) Enlarged Prostate
2) Mass lesion in bladder could be benign or malignant.
3) Tumour in the kidney.
4) Infection in bladder (Cystitis)

If you have discomfort and signs of hypo-tension like sweating ,uneasiness,chest pain go immediately to emergency room else you drink more water and consult qualified Urologist at earliest (Tomorrow)for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done under his guidance to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis.
3) Endoscopic examination of bladder( Cystoscopy if required)

Further additional investigations and treatment will depend upon results of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.