Suggest treatment for blood in stool

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have blood in my stool.....never had that before!

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Blood in the stool can be alarming for anyone.

It can be due to different possible causes such as: (1) infection - usually involves vomiting and diarrhea
(2)hemorrhoids
(3)trauma of anal region eg from a hard bowel movement
(4)cancer of the colon
(5)non cancer growths of the colon-benign polyps
(6)diverticular disease- small outpockets in the colon, happen with aging, these can become inflamed or infected causing bleeding

If you have a recent colonscopy (within the last 3 to 5 years), then cancer is not likely because these take a long time to grow.

If you are having diarrhea or vomiting then infection is most likely.

If it is not clear what is the cause of the blood and there is no recent colonoscopy then you should see your doctor for an assessment.
He or she would likely refer you to have a scope done

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 minutes later
Thank you....I have had a colonoscopy in the last 5 years.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
makes cancer less likely

Detailed Answer:
HI

That means that cancer is not likely.

If it continues and there is no obvious cause (no infection, no history of diverticular disease, no hemorrhoids, no trauma), then you should be assessed.

One of these may be present though you may not be aware.

Please feel free to ask anything else