Suggest treatment for blood in semen

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: small amount of blood in semen
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This is most often nothing very serious

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Hematospermia--blood in the semen--can occur briefly for no specific reason.

That said, once it happens it has to be fully evaluated for the possible causes of

Prostate infection
Testicular cancer
Prostate cancer

So you need to see your doctor about this as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you need any more information
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ralph Chambers 21 hours later
I don't have any pain or other issues, but I'm making an appointment. Should I see a specialist or my doctor ( general practitioner)?
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For now your GP is fine

Detailed Answer:
Your GP can do an exam, blood work,urinalysis, and get an ultrasound of your scrotum as a start to working this up.

If your prostate and testicle exam is normal--no masses--and the urinalysis and blood work are normal as well as the scrotal ultrasound, then this is just idiopathic hematospermia--no specific cause and nothing serious
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad