Suggest treatment for blood in semen

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Men's Health
Question: I recently noticed a brown discoloration, possibly slightly fibrous in my semen during ejaculation. email is YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blood in semen

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HSM with your health care concerns

You notice a brown fibrous like substance in your semen. This is probably blood which is commonly found in semen. It could be due to benign prostatic hypertrophy or from prostate infection. Either way this is common and a fairly benign. If you have rectal pain and pressure in the rectal area you probably have a prostate infection. I recommend for either condition that you see your medical provider and have a prostate examination. If you have a prostate infection then you will need to be on antibiotics for an extended period. The blood is not associated with prostate cancer or malignancy.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions