question-icon

Suggest treatment for blood filled bartholin cyst

Posted on Tue, 12 May 2015
Question: I just had a bartholin cyst lanced. It was the size and shape of a marble and painless. It was filled with red blood, not infected. The doctor was surprised but didn't seem concerned. I am 60. She wanted to know if I recently had trama to the area. I couldn't think if anything. Should I be concerned as this is unusual.?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal (45 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is a cause of concerned.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am,

Thanks for trusting us about your health care.

I can understand your concern here.

In my opinion blood filled bartholin cyst can be due to infection( but you said it is non infecte, how do you know it).

In my opinion you should take antibiotics and pain killer for it and when infection settled down you should go for surgical removal of cyst.

Before removal you should go for swab culture also.

If recurrence occur yyou can go for procedure called marsupilization of cyst.

Hope it is useful, feel free to didiscuss more.

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN