• question-icon

Suggest treatment for blood clots in the heart

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: my son just was diagnosed with massive blood clots and are changing hospitals and putting him in intebsive care unit, what is their procedures from here? they are in/around the heart?

is anyone addressing my question? it's more informational for me and not the patient I submitted. I want to know what to expect and what they do for patients with his diagnosos.

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Medical and surgical treatment

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, treatment of blood clot of the heart or heart vessels include antiplatlets as aspirin and an anticoagulant as warfarin to prevent further growth of the clot or the formation of new clots . further treatment and therapy might be required depending on the size and specific location of the blood clot in the heart as there are cases when medication alone isn't enough to remove the clot. surgical procedure includes inserting a catheter into an artery, usually in the leg, until it reaches the blood clot. The surgeon will then be able to break up and remove the blood clot. I hope I answered your question. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman