• question-icon

Suggest treatment for blocked veins in heart

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in General Health
Question: my father had heart attack 3 days back and was given velix injection and then moved to other hospital.They have angiogram yestrday and was told that 2 veins were blocked in left side and advised for 2 stents.Can I know when should we go for stents and can't the clots be resolved with medicines instaed of stent.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Clots can be resolved but not blocks.

Detailed Answer:
Generally when heart attack occurs it is due to complete occlusion of the coronary artery. There two components to the block. One is narrowing or stenosis of artery composed of cholesterol calcium etc and second is acute occlusion that is secondary to blood clot. Injection resolves clot not the first component. As long as stenosis persists risk of heart attack also persists. So they have to be felt with angioplasty or bypass surgery once blocks are more than 70%.
If there are no other complications of heart attack such as kidney failure or bleeding than its advice able to go ahead finish it as soon as possible
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional