question-icon

Suggest treatment for blocked nose, loud snoring and breathing difficulty

Posted on Thu, 3 Dec 2015
Question: Q Hi My nose has been blocked most of my life, I mostly breathe through my mouth, I am a loud snorer, even if I blow my nose it still remains hard to breathe, I'm also on pantoprazole , as I have barrats osophicus and hiatus hernia, can you please advise regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
consider sleep study/ visit to ENT specialist

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
There are many causes for blocked nasal passages. Some of these can be treated with antihistamines like loratidine and nasal steroids. Nasal saline used frequently may also be helpful. In other cases, a surgery is required to open up the nasal passages. The best type of physician to see if a surgery could help you would be an ENT surgeon. If you snore loudly and have fatigue during the day then you may have sleep apnea and a sleep study could help you determine if you have that condition. If you are overweight, then regular exercise and losing weight could also help with the snoring.
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson