question-icon

Suggest treatment for blocked eustachian tube

Posted on Tue, 16 May 2017
Question: Hello!
I have suffered with Eustachian Tube dysfunction for many years. Usually this has occurred every spring, but over the past several years my Eustachian Tubes have become blocked beginning in Nov.-Dec and continued into the spring. I have consulted an ENT specialist and I have taken antibiotics and prescription nasal spray. This has been somewhat helpful. In addition, this year, I have had post-nasal drip (probably from my sinuses) and has made me hoarse. So I can't hear and I can't talk. This has really become problematic for me! Suggestions? Thank You, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
Chronic Eustachian tube blockage is usually associated with nasal disease. As you are saying you have sinusitis, you should get a CT scan paranasal sinuses done.
Any sinus disease if present should be treated. It will help to decongest the tube.
Secondly if you don't have much sinusitis but there is recurrent eustachian tube blockage, you can get a tympanotomy done to avoid symptoms.
The postnasal drip is due to sinusitis only.
Take a combination of levocetrizine and montelukast once daily Along with nasal decongestant.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist