Suggest treatment for blocked eustachian tube of ear

Posted on Fri, 4 Apr 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a clogged left ear that I can't pop. The doctor said my eustachian tube was blocked and told me to take anafrin spray for 4 days and then continue with flonase. My symptoms seem to be getting worse, although I am fine at night when I lay down. Is it safe to try an oral decongestant after using anafrin? I am particularly worried since I need to fly next week. Is there anything else I can do? Nothing seems to work to pop it -holding my nose and blowing, chewing gum, yawning, etc. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: ear is infected Detailed Answer: Hello Madam, If the eustahian tube remains blocked for a long time then there is a good chance that the ear is infected that is why your symptoms are getting worse. Usually upper respiratory tract infections are viral to begin with but after a few days it becomes a bacterial infection. See your doctor. You may need a course of antibiotics if the tubes have been blocked for roughly 1 week. Also since you are flying it is better to take the antibiotic. You can take an oral decongestant but after you see a doctor since oral decongestants come with considerable number of side effects. Till then you should do steam inhalation 5 times daily, it helps to unclog the tubes. Keep chewing gum and blowing balloons. There is nothing else you can do. Regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist