Suggest treatment for bloating, nausea and diarrhea

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had incredible amounts of gas, bloating, nausea and diarrhea since traveling to LA in April, where we ate at the same places. The doctors have considered gastroenteritis, did a colonoscopy that was normal, did an endoscopy that found a possibly malignant tumor in my stomach, but the biopsy was negative, and have prescribed many meds for nausea and cramping. I had a sonogram of my gallbladder that was normal. The discomfort is mostly under my ribs on the left side. Sometimes I get a short, sharp pain there. I'm scheduled for another procedure in 3 weeks to look at my liver and pancreas. Meanwhile I'm taking hycosamine and zofran, finished 4 different antibiotics and have had a few days here and there where I felt fine, tried to eat normally, then ended up very sick again. My mom had travelled with me and had similar symptoms, but not as bad. She also still has some nausea and has to be careful to eat light, bland foods. Her doctor said to only eat boiled vegetables! My mom is 78 & I am 54. We should be over this thing by now. She did not take any antibiotics and did not get as much diarrhea. Is there anything else that could be causing this?
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
IBS, supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Bowel discomfort symptoms with normal work up and recent travel history is likely gastroenteritis and irritable bowel syndrome flares. Treatment is supportive and symptomatic care. Diet lifestyle adjustments are mandatory . Reducing fatty , dairy, spicy, processed, canned products. Preferring fresh fruits, fibers, plenty of fluids and regular exercise. Small frequent meals will help. Supportive use of antacids, antispasmodics which you are already on will help. No need for barrage of antibiotics.

Nutshell, just diet and lifestyle adjustments alone will help. I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan