Suggest treatment for bloating, muscle weakness with history of fibromyalgia

Dr. Vidya KR

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have severe bloating after eating, along with muscle weakness and burning, lethargy, nausea and trouble breathing. blood tests all come out okay. Any idea what i am dealing with? i have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia in the past, but do not know if all this is a part of it.
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Functional GI causes

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

Your symptoms of Postprandial bloating is very commonly an issue of functional GI disorders.
Intolerance to lactose, fructose and sorbitol are relatively common and thus lipids intake should be minimized to the minimum to avoid such bloating. Bifidobacteria and associated probiotics have proved useful and helpful in the bloating issues.

Postprandial bloating is a hallmark of an inflammatory bowel disease and it needs to be assessed by a gastroenterologist and treated accordingly to permanently have a solution for it.

Postprandial bloating is less likely seen due to fibromyalgia, Which will be associated with other symptoms.

1.Avoid fatty meals
2. Don't lie down soon after meals for at least 2 hours
3.Take small and frequent meals, instead of full meals at a time
4. wear loose clothes
5. If you are overweight or obese do weight reduction with dieting and exercise
6. take a proton pump inhibitor like rabeprazole along with a prokinetic agent like domperidone
7. See if bloating worsen with dairy products, if yes then avoid them
better to get worked up as i mentioned to sort out the most likely functional cause as IBS etc.
Seek a gastroenterologist for further management.

Hope i answered your query. Feel free to ask further related query.

Wish you a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D