Suggest treatment for bloating and excessive belching while having acid reflux

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello
I started taking lansoprazole 6 days ago because I had acid reflux for the last 6 years
my doctor did a gastroscopy and he said that I don't have any problems with my stomach

but now I feel very bloated and have a disconfort in the top of my stomach, like something is pushing on it

also I hard to belch on my mouth.i still feel that I have to but nothing is coming out
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
dyspepsia related indigestion

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern for your GI symptoms.

Your symptoms in presence of normal endoscopy suggest indigestion rather than acidity.
Having reflux since long time may cause some changes to lower part of esophagus known as Barrett's esophagus. But this change can be identified in endoscopy.

Completely normal endoscopy rules out all these possibilities and thus it is more likely that you might have improper acid production related indigestion.

For this condition Lansoprazole will not be effective much but you can continue this medication in view of long history of reflux.

Addition of intestinal digestive enzyme supplements (Unienzyme) or prokinetic medication (Ganaton, Lansoprazole with Domperidone) may help to improve the symptoms.

Hope I answered your query. If you have any further doubts, I would be happy to help you.
Have a nice day!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj