Suggest treatment for bloating and discomfort in the lower abdominal area

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am suffering from bloating and discomfort in the lower abdomen area. Since we have a dog both my wife and I (today) have taken Zentel on Doctors advise.
I am already on Zifi OZ since we are travelling and I felt that I may have picked up a stomach infection. No fever but heaviness in the lower abdomen continues. For pain I have taken two buscopans, gap of 5 hour between each.
The abdomen,middle and lower is bloated and I have considerable gaseous type discomfort.
I have a good chemist nearby and have kept ganaton 50 mg with me but dont really know what to take. The Zifi OZ still has three days to go (5 day 2BD).
Can you advise? XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take curd or yogurt

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking back once again on HealthcareMagic.

Since you have started Zifi OZ please complete the course. I understand that you are having a bloating. Indeed ganaton 50 can provide relief. Take it before meals thrice a day for next few days. Take omeprazole once daily before breakfast.

Take curd or yogurt regularly. It has so happened that your taking Zifi OZ has actually caused your problem. It has eliminated the normal bacterial flora of your intestines. These bacteria are actually important and their removal has caused problems in digestion. The undigested food matter has been degraded by the remnant resistant bacteria to produce the gases that cause the bloating. Curd or yogurt contain good bacteria and should help.

I would insist you to avoid self medication or unnecessary medication. They might do more harm than good.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 21 minutes later
I have Providac -is it OK to take before, after or with meals.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be taken.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, providac contains similar good bacteria and should be ok to take. They will serve the same purpose as curd or yogurt. You can take them after meals.