Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
133 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for blisters on the kneecap

Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3129 Questions

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: fell on my knee and now there is a water blister on the kneecap.what do I do about it?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blister first aid:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I'm sorry you had this fall. First I want to make sure that your knee is ok inside. Are you able to bend it without excessive pain, and is it stable when you walk? If not, please go in to urgent care or ER where they can examine the knee and get an Xray.

Now, about that blister. If it is small, just cover it with a band aid until it resolves. Keeping it intact will decrease the chance of infection. The body will eventually reabsorb the fluid in the blister and it will decrease in size and heal.

If it is large and causing pain, you can puncture and drain it, but try to keep the overlying skin on the blister's base.

First wash your hands well with regular soap and warm water. Clean a needle with alcohol. Poke the blister near the edge of it (rather than in the middle/top) and allow it to drain. Apply clean vaseline or zinc oxide with a fresh Qtip to the remaining blister and cover with a non stick bandage. Everyday, change the bandage until it heals.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Zinc oxide

doctor1 MD

On the Doctor s today, they brought up that it is dangerous to use baby powder in the groin area. Why is this dangerous and what can you use for...

doctor1 MD

I m a 32year male, generally healthy. Literally over a night or two, I have developed a red, raised rash on the skin between my butt cheeks. I...

doctor1 MD

Can anal fissure lead to anal warts? I have had anal fissure on and off for years which makes bowel movements difficult. (Im now 22) but eventually...

doctor1 MD

i scratched my vagina when I was showering and now I have a light pink residue when I wipe. will this go away on it's own

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My daughter is approx. 1 year old. She has developed some red rashes today evening and she is trying to scratch it over the clothes. 1....

doctor1 MD

What could be cause of my rash? I was traveling in COZUMEL and Cancun. The last morning ( Nov. 22 ) I swam in the heated pool, which was being...

doctor1 MD

Hi I m a 30 yr old male. I have been having testicle mycosis for about 6 month have visited the dermatologist and they have given me the following...