Suggest treatment for blisters on the kneecap

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: fell on my knee and now there is a water blister on the kneecap.what do I do about it?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blister first aid:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I'm sorry you had this fall. First I want to make sure that your knee is ok inside. Are you able to bend it without excessive pain, and is it stable when you walk? If not, please go in to urgent care or ER where they can examine the knee and get an Xray.

Now, about that blister. If it is small, just cover it with a band aid until it resolves. Keeping it intact will decrease the chance of infection. The body will eventually reabsorb the fluid in the blister and it will decrease in size and heal.

If it is large and causing pain, you can puncture and drain it, but try to keep the overlying skin on the blister's base.

First wash your hands well with regular soap and warm water. Clean a needle with alcohol. Poke the blister near the edge of it (rather than in the middle/top) and allow it to drain. Apply clean vaseline or zinc oxide with a fresh Qtip to the remaining blister and cover with a non stick bandage. Everyday, change the bandage until it heals.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.