Suggest treatment for blisters on the hand

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am taking several meds prescribed by my doc. and I wonder what meds can cause these skin issues I have? Namely little cuts that seem to appear out of nowhere and a hand that will not heal after a blister from howing or raking or shoveling last summer?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be caused by Naproxen

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, though all other medications may have their side effects but none seems to be related to the one you are experiencing.

However, the skin condition or impaired wound healing can be caused by non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like Naproxen in your drugs history. So it'd be better if you can keep it's use limited. In cases of severe persistent pain along with, getting basic blood screens for hemogram & platelet count, and coagulation profile will be useful.

Also using vitamin C, A, E and K may help with skin nourishment and good skin tone and rapid healing and decreased cuts and such symptoms that you have been facing lately.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 52 minutes later
Thank you Doctor for the rather rapid response. I will stop taking this at night and hope that it takes care of the problem. I would like to replace this w/something, however, as the naproxen makes it less frequent that I wake during the night. What would you reccomend?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can use analgesics like Acetaminophen/Paracetamol

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for your feedback.

You can use analgesics like Acetaminophen/Paraceramol (Tylenol) as an alternative.
In case of uncontrolled pain, more potent analgesics like Tramadol can also be used after discussing with your primary doctor.

Regards.