• question-icon

Suggest treatment for blisters on the body

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have pictures to send as well. I am dealing with blisters on my body. They started about 3-4 days ago and appeared to be very much like Herpes. i am a non medical expert of course. However, the same blister type sores that popped up on the left side of my scrotum, left side of my lower abdomen, and left side of my inner thigh, are now all over the left side of my lower back. They start at the very base of my spine, and travel what a lay person might call along a dermatome.

I have 1 blister on my wrist, and more seem to be appearing in other places. Some background is I have been dealing with skin issues for at least a year. My back gets very red, as does my chest. that redness has been splotchy, and never with blisters. almost a camouflage like pattern.

Prior to my lower back displaying a classic dermatome shape (2 days ago) I had a heal.com doctor over to the house. he prescribed Cephalexin. I am not taking it as I feel my symptoms are similar to Shingles. I will take it if I get another doctor to recommend it, but am hesitant to just start throwing antibiotics at everything.

Long story endless, I am hoping you feel you can give me a solid diagnosis so I can start treatment.

Also, I have no recent sexual activity that would suggest herpes. The symptoms just started like that.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A viral infection probably

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

I saw very carefully your pictures you have attached.
I can understand your concern

In my opinion as you explain the history and what i saw i don't think the antibiotic might help.

It might be herpes simplex virus causing this situation but i strongly recommend you to do some blood tests first as follows:

Hemogram
CRP
ESR
Ac IgM
Ac IgG
Ac IgA
Alt,Ast
Abdominal and scrotum ultrasound too

And the most important is the microscopic examination of the liquid of the blister which will give us the exact microorganism (viral or bacterial ) and after the result it will be the exact treatment.
Please consult with your doctor for the above.
After having the results he/she will probably prescribe you orally antivirals for up to ten days and local cream too.

I don't recommend you antibiotics unless i know the causative agent.

Take care and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 3 days later
I went to another doctor as your answer left me with more questions than solutions. As it turns out I saw a nurse practitioner and a doctor the next day. they were both pretty positive it was shingles and started anti viral, and steroids. My concern is that if you were sure, could you prescribe me medicine? Is that possible on this platform? My other concern is that shingles is something that needs to be addressed early. SO while blood tests would be beneficial, I was left with no medication and in a pretty bad spot, in my opinion. SO overall, there was nothing wrong with your answer, but it sort of left me in the same place I started. I suppose going out on a limb with pictures is difficult. The other nurse and doctor did not need a blood test and were certain. They did swab the area at my request to confirm it was zoster and not sexually transmitted, but even that they were fairly certain. I still want to know for sure. The medication seemingly is working very well. I hope my answer is respectful even if not glowing.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No its not ethical

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

No the prescription of specific treatment is not allowed on this platform.

One and the most important reason is that from the medical point of view this is not ethical. No doctor should prescribe medication without seeing closely the patient.

I am happy that you are feeling better and in conclusion it was a viral infection as i explain.

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist