Suggest treatment for bleeding while pregnant and having uterus didelphys

Dr. Bhagyashree.B

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Hello. I have a uterus didelfhys and I am pregnant. I have started bleeding, it's red. If I go to the emergency room will they be able to tell which side I'm bleeding on with an ultrasound?
Answered by Dr. Bhagyashree.B 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Dear member,
Thanks for writing.
Any bleeding in pregnancy is assumed to be from the pregnant uterus and you will need complete examination.
Even though you have didelphys uterus the chance of bleeding from the non pregnant side is remote as there are hormonal changes in pregnancy which prevent menstruation from other side.
You will need ultrasound to check whether your pregnancy is ok and drugs like progesterone to prevent abortion.
Please write back if you have any concerns
Thanks
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow up: Dr. Bhagyashree.B 19 minutes later
I used a progesterone suppository when it started (i take them 3 times a day) and it seems to have almost stopped. I am not that far along and just had an ultrasound today. They saw the gestational sac but no yolk sac yet. If the bleeding has almost stopped will the emergency room be able to tell me anything? I already have another appointment scheduled with my Dr in 2 days to look for the yolk sac, I don't know if I should wait.
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Dear member,
Thanks for writing back.
As you are in early pregnancy the ultrasound will show only the gestation sac.
You have to wait till your next scan as the yolk sac is visible after 5 weeks. The fetus or embryo is seen at a later date. Only then the pregnancy can be called viable.
Your anxiety is valid.
You have to wait till your scheduled scan Doing a ultrasound now wont help.
Continue your progesterone as usual.
This early pregnancy bleeding can occur even in patients with normal uterus.
best of luck.
Please write back if you need any concerns addressed.
If you have no more queries then please close the discussion .
Thanks
Dr Bhagyashree