• question-icon

Suggest treatment for bleeding scab like formation on the ear

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, I believe I have whats described as calcium build up located betwen the upper helix and the crura anthihelix. When I first noticed them they were quite small, and i procrastnated on seeing a doctor. 2-3 yrs has passed and it has growing to the point where it appears and feels like extruding pimple. Just now i had ear phones and had scuffed while taking them off, and it has bee bleeding.

it also look powerdery, from the search i did it seems that calcium build up is a surgical procedure, should i goto the er like now? or make an appointment with my GP.? can i just treat it as a pimple and squeeze out as much as i can and put a band aid over it?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If it continues to bleed, visit an ER, otherwise routine examination.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Apply pressure for a few minutes to stop the bleeding. If it continues to bleed, get it examined at an ER.

2. This seems to be a calcinosis, which is rare in the pinna, and the cause is unclear. If it is an isolated lesion, it may be previous infection or minor trauma. Upload a close-up image if possible other wise get it examined at a routine ENT OPD.

3. Surgical excision, if required, will be a minor procedure. Excised material should be sent for histopathology examination.

4. Get blood tests done to check calcium phosphate metabolism, renal function tests. Rule out CREST Syndrome.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist