• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for bleeding scab like formation on the ear

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, I believe I have whats described as calcium build up located betwen the upper helix and the crura anthihelix. When I first noticed them they were quite small, and i procrastnated on seeing a doctor. 2-3 yrs has passed and it has growing to the point where it appears and feels like extruding pimple. Just now i had ear phones and had scuffed while taking them off, and it has bee bleeding.

it also look powerdery, from the search i did it seems that calcium build up is a surgical procedure, should i goto the er like now? or make an appointment with my GP.? can i just treat it as a pimple and squeeze out as much as i can and put a band aid over it?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If it continues to bleed, visit an ER, otherwise routine examination.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Apply pressure for a few minutes to stop the bleeding. If it continues to bleed, get it examined at an ER.

2. This seems to be a calcinosis, which is rare in the pinna, and the cause is unclear. If it is an isolated lesion, it may be previous infection or minor trauma. Upload a close-up image if possible other wise get it examined at a routine ENT OPD.

3. Surgical excision, if required, will be a minor procedure. Excised material should be sent for histopathology examination.

4. Get blood tests done to check calcium phosphate metabolism, renal function tests. Rule out CREST Syndrome.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 2593 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Calcium phosphate

doctor1 MD

I am using Richfeel two food supplements as treatment against hair loss. Are their any cheaper substitutes available in the market?

doctor1 MD

What is osseous demineralization of the knee What does this mean ?

doctor1 MD

I have a lot of pain in my right shoulder and right hip, going on 3 weeks

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

188 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Sumit Bhatti
  • Q - Can an energy drink prior to blood test increase RBC levels ?

  • Q - Unstable,unable to walk independently and properly,on Vertinal and...

  • Q - Flu symptoms,throat and roof of mouth sore,coughed bright red blood,any...

  • Q - Tingling sensation along right side face,3-4 times daily,sensation when...

  • Q - Pain,stiffness,swelling in knees,X-ray,arthritis developing,knee...

  • Q - Amoebriz dosage for adults and children

  • Q - Eustachian tube dysfunction, ear virus, sick on planes, scopolamine,...

  • Q - Pea sized nodule in tongue, painful, affecting speech, tooth pain, jaw...

  • Q - What causes jawline lumps?

  • Q - Double bypass, respiratory failure, nose bleeds, selective embolization