Suggest treatment for bleeding in the right eye and glaucoma

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I have glaucoma. I have been blessed just to have reading glasses. My Doctor says I have some capillary bleeding in my right eye. This has been going on for a year and a half. I have even had a carotid scan to see if there is any blockage, and I had two laser treatments where should I go from here?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for asking query,
Firstly i will give you a briefing about your condition.
The problem you are having is called Vitreous hemorrhage.Vitreous hemorrhage is the extravasation, or leakage, of blood into the areas in and around the vitreous humor of the eye. The vitreous humor is the clear gel that fills the space between the lens and the retina of the eye.It can be caused by hypertension, retinal vein occlusion or diabetes mellitus (which causes small fragile blood vessels to form, which are easily damaged).Vitreous hemorrhage can lead to Macular edema. Macular edema is a swelling in the macula, or the central part of your retina, due to a buildup of blood. Neovascularization is an abnormal growth of blood vessels caused by poor blood flow and a lack of oxygen to your retina. Neovascular glaucoma involves fluid buildup and high pressure in your eye.All these condition are inter related.
Treatment is aimed at the underlying etiology as soon as possible. If neovascularization from proliferative retinopathy is the cause(As it seems in your case as per the description given by you), laser panretinal photocoagulation is performed.A krypton laser may aid photocoagulation as it passes through hemorrhage better than argon lasers.So please mention which laser therapy had been used by your opthalmologist.If this is not successful intravitreal anti-VEGF agents may induce regression of the neovascularization.
Vitrectomy is also indicated for nonclearing vitreous hemorrhage.Timing of vitrectomy depends on the underlying etiology.New therapies, such as intravitreal injection of hyaluronidase.Pl;ease discuss all these options with your opthalmologist.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 12 hours later
Thank you so much for getting back with me. My doctor is a glaucoma specialist. What kind of specialist do I need to see for this problem? How do I find such doctor? I live in Decatur Ga.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You could consult an ophthalmologist specialised in retinal surgeries.You can visit any quaternary hospital like medical college, where people are specialised in performing retinal surgeries frequently.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad