Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

197 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for bleeding in the right eye and glaucoma

Answered by
Dr. Ramesh Kumar


Practicing since :1991

Answered : 238 Questions

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I have glaucoma. I have been blessed just to have reading glasses. My Doctor says I have some capillary bleeding in my right eye. This has been going on for a year and a half. I have even had a carotid scan to see if there is any blockage, and I had two laser treatments where should I go from here?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking query,
Firstly i will give you a briefing about your condition.
The problem you are having is called Vitreous hemorrhage.Vitreous hemorrhage is the extravasation, or leakage, of blood into the areas in and around the vitreous humor of the eye. The vitreous humor is the clear gel that fills the space between the lens and the retina of the eye.It can be caused by hypertension, retinal vein occlusion or diabetes mellitus (which causes small fragile blood vessels to form, which are easily damaged).Vitreous hemorrhage can lead to Macular edema. Macular edema is a swelling in the macula, or the central part of your retina, due to a buildup of blood. Neovascularization is an abnormal growth of blood vessels caused by poor blood flow and a lack of oxygen to your retina. Neovascular glaucoma involves fluid buildup and high pressure in your eye.All these condition are inter related.
Treatment is aimed at the underlying etiology as soon as possible. If neovascularization from proliferative retinopathy is the cause(As it seems in your case as per the description given by you), laser panretinal photocoagulation is performed.A krypton laser may aid photocoagulation as it passes through hemorrhage better than argon lasers.So please mention which laser therapy had been used by your opthalmologist.If this is not successful intravitreal anti-VEGF agents may induce regression of the neovascularization.
Vitrectomy is also indicated for nonclearing vitreous hemorrhage.Timing of vitrectomy depends on the underlying etiology.New therapies, such as intravitreal injection of hyaluronidase.Pl;ease discuss all these options with your opthalmologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 12 hours later
Thank you so much for getting back with me. My doctor is a glaucoma specialist. What kind of specialist do I need to see for this problem? How do I find such doctor? I live in Decatur Ga.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
You could consult an ophthalmologist specialised in retinal surgeries.You can visit any quaternary hospital like medical college, where people are specialised in performing retinal surgeries frequently.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Neovascularization

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor, My brother has been diagnosed with multifocal choroiditis 2013 XXXXXXX She went to doctor when she first noticed blurry vision and a round spot in right eye. After diagnosis Dr said she got tuberculosis in the eyes along with...

doctor1 MD

About 2 years ago I experienced extreme weight loss to the point of malnutrition . It caused sunken eyes and I even lost a strip of fat on each side of my nose close to the eyes. This's area always has a slight feel of discomfort or irritation...

doctor1 MD

Dear Sir

I hope this email will reach the right person/doctor and I get a response as soon as possible
My sister is 29 years old and she has high myopia in both eyes 31 degrees in each

This morning she woke up and a blank dot in the middle of her left eye. Her doctor told us that this case is called Choroidal Neovascularization
She will be have her first VEGF injection this afternoon and she is supposed to have another 2 within the coming 2 months

My question is is there’s anything we can do to save her eye? Surgery?
I wish during these holidays to find someone has an answer or a solution for my sister

doctor1 MD

I am a 62 year old woman who was diagnosed 10 years ago with central serous retinopathy in my right eye. The problem appeared to resolve on its own in weeks. Two months ago, I noticed rather suddenly that the central vision in my right eye was severely impaired. After a series of tests, my ophthomologist told me that I had developed a rare CSR condition, a choroidal neovascular membrane, for which he injected me with Avastin. . He admitted that in all his years as a retinal specialist, he had never before seen a presentation such as mine. I wondered if you can help me locate someone with expertise in this condition, to offer additional guidance vis a vis treatment options. Many thanks.