Suggest treatment for bleeding from the bowel

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My name is CXXXXand I am 60 years old.
I have been bleeding from the bowel for 10 years. The doctors/surgeons have done approximately 5 colonscopies and gastroscopies. Earlier this year I had approximately 20 bleeding polyps taken out of my stomach. The latest procedure has been a haemorroidectomy. I am still bleeding from the bowel. This year I lost so much blood I was hospitalized. My hemoglobin was 55 on arrival at hospital. I was extremely weak and I had weakness right down my left side. My speech was also affected and slurry but came right approximately two hours later. I had 5 blood transfusions and one bag of iron. The hospital advised I had two problems eg loss of blood and maybe a very slight stroke.
What would you recommend for the next procedure please.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depending on the quantum of bleeding

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in

Ideally for any GI bleed gastroscopy and COlonoscopy are the golden standards

But if they have not been able to detect, the source of bleeding it is better you go for a double contrast Barium meal follow through

High end investigations depending on the quantum of bleeding may be helpful :

Arteriography can identify briskly bleeding sources

A technetium-99m–tagged red blood cell scan is a best suited for identifying slow-bleeding sources

To rule out stroke you may go for a MRI of the brain

When were you hospitalized ?

Did you get a repeat hemoglobin done ?

Hope this helps
DO write back in case of concern

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 13 hours later
Thanks for the information
I was hospitalised in January this year and I had an MRI done on my head with no significant results regarding a stroke.
Are the tests you recommended for my Gi bleeding similar to a capsule procedure where I swallow a camera?
I hVe blood tests done every two weeks and at the moment my hemoglobin has gone from 137 to 119 in two months. Still okay but as you can see the hemoglobin level is groing down approximately 10 a month. I had five blood transfusions in January in hospital.
I have no pain at all. Do you think it could be cancer or a bowel disease? In other words, does cancer ever bleed this much?
Many thanks for your time and assistance
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be any bowel pathology

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in again

It is good to know that the MRI was normal so the stroke is ruled out

No these are different but a capsule endoscopy will cover areas not reached by Upper GI and Colonoscopy, so if you have access to it go for it

As mentioned what I have suggested are high end tests

It is really a concern if Hb is falling on a regular basis

It can be any bowel disease, yes the cancers do not bleed this bad normally but if the ulcers are huge or have a eroded vessel in the base it can bleed badly

Just reassure your self and do not panic till you have a confirmed diagnosis

Hope this clears your doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical