• question-icon

Suggest treatment for bladder prolapse

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi I do not hav bladder leakage or inconsistance my bladder is fine all test show it to be ok. my bladder hisdropped down to the vagina opening so low i feel it when I sit, I have a pissary but it is very uncomfortable what kind od surgery would help me? I have already had surgery by using my own muscles to hold it up but it dropped in about 3 months, can you help me
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment alternatives

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern and I'm sorry you are going through this. Bladder prolapse surgery risks can sometimes outweigh the benefits or is not always completely successful. However there are several other alternatives I can suggest, but their effectiveness depends on the degree of the prolapse.
1. Hormone replacement therapy can be an effective alternative to surgery. Lack of estrogen after menopause leads to relaxed muscles in the pelvic area, leading to prolapse, so taking by estrogen may strengthen the muscles.
2. Kegel exercises if done properly and long enough can strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, this reducing the prolapse.
3. Physical therapy such as electrical stimulation or biofeedback has been know to give good results so I recommend you give it a try.
Ultimately, surgery is the most definitive solution, but only after having tried all the alternative treatments.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 18 hours later
would please explain what surgeries are availavle. and how is the procedure done.
my prolapse is completely down when im standing which i believe would be a 3 or 4. what surgeries are available and how is the procedure done? i believe my proplapse is a three or 4 when i stand up,
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
See description below

Detailed Answer:
Usually, if there is no other problem that would require an incision across the tummy, the bladder is repaired through an incision in the wall of the vagina by pulling together the loose tissue in the prolapsed bladder. The bladder and the urethra are lifted to their normal position and then the wall of the vagina is repaired and strengthened.

Since bladder prolapse often occurs with the prolapse of other organs and structured of the pelvis, such as urethra, uterus, rectum or small bowel, they are also repaired during this procedure.

The success of this procedure is usually 80%. The other 20% experience a recurrence. To avoid this from happening, after the surgery there is some things you can do, such as avoid smoking, eat a healthy diet and maintain a healthy weight, avoid getting constipated by eating plenty of fiber and staying well hydrating, avoid strenuous activity and heavy lifting.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ornela Ademovi