• question-icon

Suggest treatment for bladder infection and fever

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, I live in a small town in bc, Canada, drs office closed today, I am 75 years old, in pretty good health, slim and very active, last week 6 days a go I came down with a Bladder infection, now I have only 2 pills left totake (Macrobid, 100mg.,) and I am not near well yet??? I had a fever and was freezing cold at the same time, this seems to happen every nite, I don't seem to have the pain in the back and tummy any more just exhausted
like when I hemoraged after giving birth at 20 years old, it took me a year to recover, I have trouble doing anything, and wonder if this is normal, or maybe my thyroid acting up again, I take 100g of synthroid, please help me if u can, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What is your temperature? Was a blood test done?

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your information fully. With symptoms resolving( Pain in back and tummy), it is unlikely that the infection would continue. I will like to know what your temperatures are if you get to measure them when you have” chills and fever” at night. If not, do so and report the value to me.

Being tired could be a symptoms of anemia. I will like to know if your full blood count was done. If yes, kindly upload the report to me for review.

I will suggest you stop synthroid. A thyroid problem develops progressively and not overnight. I will suggest that you get the thyroid hormones measured before any treatment with thyroid supplements is commenced.

I hope this guides and helps. I hope to hear back from you.

Waiting...
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
no I do not know what my temp was, I have no thermometer , and there was no
blood test done in the past few weeks , the last test showed I needed to reduce the synthroid , so I did, but thank you, I will talk to my dr. and get another blood test, I was kind of thinking the thyroid was acting up again, thanks again, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep me posted!

Detailed Answer:

I will not recommend you increase the dose of synthroid at this time. The thyroid wouldn’t cause symptoms just for a few hours each day. They will normally last all day long.

As you talk to your doctor and get more details, share with me for review and more guidance.

I wish you well.
Dr. Ivo Ditah