Suggest treatment for blackheads in groin area

Dr. VINAY KUMAR

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a lot of blackheads in my groin area and would like to get rid of them fast. They are quite deep and there appears to be a lot of dirt lodged in them..some are quite large. I use a puff ball shower washer and body wash. I pay particular attention down there but it makes no difference. Its ugly and I'd like them gone..overnight if possible. Thankyou
Answered by Dr. VINAY KUMAR 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blackheads represent blocked skin pores of special glands

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome.
I am Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
I am a sr Consultant Dermatologist.

I have noted your details. I would like to assure you that blackheads as such are simply blocked openings of sebaceous glands whose function is to produce oily secretions to keep the skin soft and elastic as well as protected from infections.

I agrre with you that these might be too numerous and seemingly unsightly but one can adopt a more effective strategy to rid of them as follows:

1 One must sponge the affected area frequently.

2 Use of salicylic acid containing preparations helps dissolve the blockage producing plugs faster

3 In some patients use of Ketoconazole is also effective and this has to be given orally

4 Gentle scrubbing helps almost every patient that I see and who is having similar complaints.

I am sure these measures will allay your apprehension, if any, and that you will get well soon.

Best wishes from healthcare magic team!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina