Suggest treatment for black spots on lower jawbone

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 in Dental Health
Question: I had a dental panoramic x-ray taken due to Jaw pain. My dentist immediately referred me to an oral surgeon. I asked why and she said she didn't feel comfortable making the diagnosis. Has me worried. Why would she say that? She printed a copy of the x ray to take with me when I see the oral surgeon. There are alot of dark spots on my lower jawbone.it also looks like like my right arm joints disc is gone.

Thank you,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs more details..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain as you have pain in jaw can range from causes like tooth infections to jaw joint problems or even other causes..
Also you have black spots on your lower jawbone..

Well, first of all before I move towards giving you an opinion I would like you to send me the scan of your panaromic x Ray..

Secondly please answer the following questions..

1.Since how long is the pain in your jaw present?
2.It happens on opening and closing the jaw or it is always present?
3.Did you have any jaw injury?
4.Are the black spots visible on your x Ray or you have it visibly seen over your skin or on the gums?
5.Do you have any restriction/difficulty in mouth opening?
6.Do you take any medication or have any medical problems?

Please revert back with image and answers..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 15 minutes later
The pain just really started. my jaw clicks and pops when I open my mouth. i had a tooth removed back in 2001. a back molar due to injury to it while having surgery. i have a difficult airway. black spots visible on x-ray not my skin or mouth.i do have restrictions on opening my mouth. i have epilepsy, under active thyroid, asthma. i take depakote, dilantin, levothyroxine, singular and advise.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems like jaw joint dysfunction..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome back..

As per your response the symptoms of clicking sound, restriction in mouth opening, pain on opening mouth are all looking consistent with TEMPOROMANDIBULAR JOINT DYSFUNCTION commonly referred to as TMJ/TMD..

As far as Black spots on x ray are concerned they can be artifacts and not exactly any pathology on jawbone, but still would like to see your x ray for any confirmation..

As far as pain is concerned and also you are asthmatic I would suggest you to as of now take pain reliever like TRAMADOL..
Do warm compresses over the jaw joint..
Massage the sides of the face with round motions of finger tips..
Take soft diet and avoid excessive mouth opening..
Keep stress minimal with meditation and breathing exercises..

Consult with Oral Surgeon and revert back with the diagnosis for further guidance..

Wishing you a good health..

Regards..
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 5 minutes later
the pain is constant not only on opening my mouth.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Forward displacement of left side of mandibular condyle..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome back..

I have keenly observed your x ray and first thing is that the dark areas are not any pathology but is normal appearance of the X-ray, so do not worry about it..

Secondly the x ray reveals that the left mandibular condyle ( the portion of lower jaw that takes part in making the jaw joint.) Is forwardly displaced and it is not articulating into its normal anatomical position..
It is the cause for the symptoms that you are facing..

You will be advised medicines to relieve pain, mouth guards for re- establishing the proper joint articulation and also physiotherapy..

Any further questions are welcome..

Regards..
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 19 minutes later
i wear a nite guard. is that the same thing
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is similar..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome Back..

Yes night guard is similar to mouthguard but I would like to know that for what purpose you are wearing night guard?

Do you have teeth grinding habit?

Please revert back with answers..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina