Suggest treatment for black pigmentation of lips due to smoking

Dr. Sonia Raina

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi

due to smoking my lips turn to black, pls let me know the medicine or any thing else to make my lips red as it was before smoking. pls provide solution to make lips red in one month.
Answered by Dr. Sonia Raina 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
avoid smoking, keep lips hydrated, consume Vitamin C rich food

Detailed Answer:
Hello, greetings!
Thanks for posting your query in hcm.
You can incorporate the following changes in your daily routine to reduce the pigmentation of your lips:-

1. Avoid smoking. If you continue to smoke, chances are slim that your lip colour will lighten.
2. Drink plenty of water and keep your lips hydrated using a lip balm that contains sun protection as well ( to prevent further darkening)
3. Do not lick your lips with saliva as this will cause further increase in dryness and darkening.
4. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, especially those like citrus fruits that are rich in Vitamin C.
5. Rub a mixture of lemon juice and honey on your lips everyday, this has natural bleaching properties.

Hope you find these tips useful. If you have any other queries, please feel free to ask, or else close the question and rate the answer.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj