Suggest treatment for black bruised swollen ankle and foot after injury

Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 14 Jul 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I banged the side of my knee. It is now 2 weeks later and my ankle and foot is swollen and my toes are black and blue along with the rest of my leg which is black and blue from the bump all the way down. I put ice on it and elevated it.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get xray done.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query.

First of all tell me, whether your whole of leg is black and blue or your inner / outer part of leg is black and blue, because from your history I sum up with the point that due to injury over the knee joint, the soft tissues get small tear or bone get hair line fracture, which causes all this, as due to injury only a part of leg is black and blue due.

As if whole of the leg is black then its a different thing.

I also want to know whether you were able to walk properly till now or you get pain.

Ankle edema usually occurs due to dependency position, so you should try to place limb elevated while sitting and place pillow below leg while sleeping.

Do not put ice on it, instead apply hot packs for 30 mins in morning and evening.

Get xray of knee with leg and knee with thigh in AP and Lateral view and send me the report, I wan to see any hairline fracture and present condition of joint.

Till then take 1 tab. aceclofenac+serratiopeptidase three times a day.

I hope it helps.

Thanks.

Dr.Singh.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 11 hours later
The black and blue is mostly behind my leg down to my ankle. No pain as Im walking however now I have a little pain in my foot because it is swollen.
I am able to walk normally from when it first happened. Just have a big bump or bruise on the side of me knee where I hit it.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It seems soft tissue injury.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the response.

From your history it seems a soft tissue injury, which will get healed by the time e.g 3 weeks. Still I advise you to get xray of knee with leg and knee with thigh in AP and Lateral view and send me the report.

Do not take painkillers if no pain is present. Apply compression bandage from toes to mid of thigh to reduce swelling.

Take 1 tab. serratiopeptidase three times a day.

As already advised, Ankle edema usually occurs due to dependency position, so you should try to place limb elevated while sitting and place pillow below leg while sleeping.

I hope it helps.

Thanks.

Dr.Singh.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj