Suggest treatment for biting nails due to high stress and anxiety

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi I have a habit rather a disorder. I eat my on skin. I am habitually peel off my skin on fingers, lips. I eat nails. Please suggest a remedy for this disorder.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
require will power

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query
As the appearance of bitten-down fingernails can be embarrassing, this can add to your anxiety and stress. Plus, the act of biting your nails is socially unacceptable and gives a negative impression to others.
Nail biting is an extremely hard habit to break, but not an impossible task. You can do it with a little motivation and strong will power. There are also many natural aids that can help you stop biting your nails.

1.Apply neem oil
The bitter taste of neem oil can help you stop nail biting. Additionally, being an antiseptic, neem oil will keep your nails free from infection.

2 Garlic is another natural ingredient that can help you in the battle to fight nail biting. Many people dislike garlic’s strong taste and aroma

3 Another very effective natural aid to stop nail biting is bitter gourd. As its name suggests, it is known for its bitter taste.

4 Use a bitter-tasting nail biting polish to coat your nails. Its bitter taste will prevent you from biting your nails.

5 Behavioral therapy is beneficial when simpler measures are not effective

6 Habit Reversal Training (HRT), which seeks to unlearn the habit of nail biting and possibly replace it with a more constructive habit

Dr Priyanka G Raj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist