Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for bipolar

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I am seeking a new treatment for bipolar. Was treated with Cymbalta - no effect, Lamictal - no effect, Wellbutrin - no effect, higher dose of Lamictal - still no effect. Husband was formerly a crystal meth addict and can't seem to find anything that helps. I'm hoping for suggestions of a combination possibly that will drastically increase his energy and decrease his suicidal thoughts and depression.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Bipolar Disorder
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Valproates, ECT, kitamine Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. I understand that you have already tried quiet a plenty of drugs but its unfortunate that you have not found the right choice of drugs. But the treatment of bipolar mood disorder has always been so. Try and experience. Some of the options which I would suggest are 1. Taking valproate or divalproex as a mood stabilizer along with an antidepressabt like mirtazapine or venlafaxine. Even lithium is a good option instead of valproate as a mood stabilizer. 2. Modified ECT therapy. This is very useful especially if it is resistant case of bipolar depression and all the more indicated if the patient is haing suicidal thoughts. Very safe, very effective and very swift. In the current case it would be my treatment of choice. 3. Kitamine is being used as an injection to break a resistant depression. It is administered on alternate days and response in within 2-3 days. Its an oflabel use but very effective and recent research is supporting it a lot. There are a couple of more options as well but these are the best possible options. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor