Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for bipolar disorder

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2014
Answered : 2063 Questions
My son-in-law has been diagnosed with bipolar and depressive disorder, is cutting and burning himself, ignoring his 3 small children, and they are being affected by this. The literature I've found completely leaves out the suffering and effects on spouses and children, focusing solely on how THEY can help the mentally ill person--a list of admonitions, which are not addressing their pain. Can you direct me to literature that helps the spouse cope and writings that address the damage this mental illness does to kids? Thank you so much.What are the chances that a self-harmer will fully recover, and what's the range of time it usually takes for recovery?

Psychiatrists keep telling his wife that "cutters are not suicidal" yet this dear man did set out to buy a fire arm (then changed his mind) and months later, after a solid hour of sobbing, tried to drown himself in the shower but wife intervened. Bizarre I know. We are heartbroken. This is a man who was a wonderful loving husband and father who has become a stranger to his family and himself. He's resisting participating in the intensive outpatient program recommended by psychiatrist. I want to know what she is supposed to do each time he cuts or burns himself. Pretend it isn't happening? The advice to ignore is ridiculously unrealistic. There are children watching for one thing. How does mommy ignore their questions and upset? My once happy grandchildren are now drawing macabre pictures. What are chances his behavior escalates and his self-harm extends to the family? He had a sudden fit of rage at his wife while driving, lurched the car to the side of the road and screamed irrational accusations at her. She remained silent. I am afraid for her safety.
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2017 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

The situation you describe is a psychiatric emergency. If you are afraid for anyone's safety, you need to call 911 immediately. This patient should be brought to the ER for an emergency psychiatric evaluation, including the possibility of involuntary admission to a psychiatric unit for treatment.

Dr. Sheppe
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor