Suggest treatment for bilateral hip pain and osteoporosis

Posted on Tue, 13 Dec 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have bilateral hip pain and have osteoporosis. it is a constant aching and pain with certain movements. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes , this can be due to osteoporosis and need further examinations.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dear. Thank you for using HCM .

According to your description, this is a case that needs further examinations. Pelvic bones X-Ray as a first thing.

The constant pain tells me that, it could be caused by bones degeneration due to osteoporosis.. It's typically for osteoporosis to affect hip bones. And If you have history of bone fractures that is a high risk to experience again or an accident on your hips recently .

So I would suggest to go to your doctor (preferably Orthopedician), he/she will do an hip X -stay to check the joint condition, for any changes . Often we see in X Ray thickness of the bones or small fractures ( both cause pain). According to the examinations, the doctor will decide such will be the further treatment.

Meanwhile, avoid any strenuous physical work, walk carefully. Take some painkillers (Tab Paracetamol 650mg three times daily after food for next 2-3 days) to control the pain , increase Calcium and vitamin D intake .

Let me know if you've any further queries

Take Care
Dr Rudina
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Rudina Balliu