Suggest treatment for benign juvenile seizures

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: please ask

Doctors » Ask a Neurologist » Dr. XXXXXXX Neystat
Dr. XXXXXXX Neystat , M.D. (American system), M.D. (Diplomate XXXXXXX Board)
Neurologist
my son woke up 3 times in the past month shaking badly and not breathing well he said he tried speaking but could not it lasted for a few min

we when today to a neurologist who is sending him for eeg tomorrow morning he said it might be benign siegers the child says his head was hurting when it stopped

why do they need to be treated if they pas on its on in the teen ages?

and what ells do you have to say about it ?
Asked by Me , 2 hours ago
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Benign Juvenile Seizures- possible

Detailed Answer:
Good evening and thank you for your question. If your doctor is a neurologist and is suspecting the condition of benign juvenile seizure disorder then, this type of problem will generally disappear on its own without much intervention necessary. The only question I would have is what the timing of the head injury was relative to these episodes. Also, how severe was the head trauma? Typically, we have data that shows when a person suffers a traumatic head injury it is considered severe enough to suspect a seizure disorder if 2 conditions are met:

1. The individual lost consciousness following the head injury
2. The individual takes at least 15 min. to recover normal baseline mental activities.

If those 2 conditions are met then, the chance of a seizure is greatly increased within the next several years following injury compared to an individual with head trauma who lost consciousness or normal alert status for less than 15 min. or not at all.

The EEG is necessary to see more details of the electrical activity. I would also be sure that the child gets an MRI with contrast and fine cuts through the mesial temporal lobes to be sure there is no other brain scarring or abnormalities that could have caused these spells and not been related to any trauma.

If the EEG confirms these as benign juvenile seizures then, no treatment is typically necessary.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.